Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Our Crumble Abode!

Well, the big day has finally arrived. After a year of waiting and waiting and waiting they started work on our house yesterday! Anyone who has been to our house in the last year have most likely had "the tour" as we call it of the damage that has been done to our home due to extreme settling issues. We first started noticing the doors not shutting, huge drywall cracks and some heaving cracks in our foundation. My little neighbor Mckinley put it best when seeing one of our cracks gasped & said " Janette! Your house is broken!"

Fortunately when we bought our home the lender required that the builder purchase a 2/10 home warranty for us. Had we not had this we would be SOL (so outta luck). It has taken over a year to process the claim and we are finally seeing some action.

They are in the process of "lifting" our house. They have to tear out the whole basement floor and install 50 push piers that basically act like stilts. They are pushed down to "real dirt" where there will be enough pressure to lift the house.


This process takes about six weeks. So even though it is really loud around here we are just excited to get it done! It still amazes me that 3" of sinkage (not sure if that is the right term but whatever) can cause so much damage.

5 comments:

Matt and Mandy said...

Looks like fun! I still can't believe that Carson can sleep through that!

Jessi said...

Janette! It's Jessilyn. I just started reading your blog. So cute! I'm so sorry about your house. That's pretty much my worst fear. Our bathroom door doesn't close. Good sign, huh? I'll probably be asking you what the heck we should do pretty soon. Good luck! Your family is absolutely adorable!

Ashley said...

I am so happy for you!! I bet it's great knowing that the whole process is started. We'll have to come see the finished product. You are welcome over here anytime if the noise gets to be too much!

Paula said...

Oh my, what a mess. When I told Scott he said, "make sure they know they have a refuge at our house if it gets to be too much." So, here's the invite, if you need somewhere to crash, to get away etc, our door is open.

Jonathan and Katie said...

I saw a porta potty at your house the other day and had my suspicions. :o) Congratulations on getting your house fixed! What a relief!